Thursday, January 20, 2011

Diversity of Arizona

Arizona is a state of diverse climates and environments.  As an example, below are two photos taken within a 3 hour drive of each other.  The first is from the Superstition Mountains, southeast of Phoenix, and the second is the San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff.  For a nature lover such as me, the variety of sights is inspiring and always refreshing.  Just last weekend, I visited the Superstitions for the first time.  I feel sorry to be saying this since I am an Arizona native.  What kept me away?  Well, for one, I must drive through Phoenix...  I prefer the less crowded Northern Arizona for my hiking adventures.  Right now and during the next two months is a great time of year to hike in the desert, spring is already starting there.  The image of the SF Peaks was from New Year's Day while snowshoeing just East of Flagstaff.  So, within a couple weeks of each other, I experienced a high of about 35 in Flagstaff to about 75 in Phoenix.  If you live in AZ and can't stand the weather or would like a change, just drive a couple hours to a different climate zone.  Enjoy AZ!


1 comment:

Keilah said...

Beautiful pics! Now I want to go to the Superstition Mountains! :)