Monday, November 5, 2012

Backpacking the Grand Canyon - Part 2

Day 2 at the Grand Canyon was spent relaxing and exploring near our camping spot on a beach near New Hance Rapids. The setting was amazing and the lighting spectacular. I awoke before the sun began to light up the distant rim. I was awarded with an amazing show of light and color. The time on the beach is about relaxing, eating, playing, exploring, and preparing for the hike up. We filtered water and cooked meals on our little stove. We had pancakes for breakfast, Thai noodle bowl with chicken for lunch, and bean/beef burritos for dinner. After lunch, my Washington uncles and I went for a short hike up the river and found a cool keyhole cave behind a fallen slab of rock. The evening shadows and reflections were fabulous. Our camp spot was in the shade most of the day, we only had 3 hours of sun. While my uncles and I were hiking, the rest of the group played a game on the sand dunes and took a dip in the icey river. The night sky was full of bright stars since the moon didn't rise until close to 10:00. Here are my favorite pictures from our day at the river:

early risers


first light

New Hance rapids

I spy

touch of light

kissed by the sun


raven

mirror

preparing breakfast

good morning - looking up river

our campsite

morning reflections

Doug and Steve

looking down river

keyhole

late afternoon shadows and reflections

sunset

just before dark

No comments: