Saturday, November 5, 2011

Going Black & White

I miss working in the darkroom, hand developing negatives and enlarging them. I decided to try a few of my recent digital photos as black and whites. Photoshop is like a darkroom, allowing me to dodge and burn, adjust contrast and brightness. The only problem I have is my printer. My first print looked purple. I played with color balance and got them looking like a warm tone paper, but they still have a touch of green to it. If I want to do this more seriously, I will invest in special software to print great black and whites. For now, I mostly use my photos as references for paintings... I still own all of my old film cameras, 35mm, 2x2, and a 4x5. Some day, I will set up a darkroom and do "old-fashioned" photos. Digital is the way to go but the act of making prints by hand is slowly becoming a lost art and I think will be more of a rare thing, thus, giving hand developed photos more value.




1 comment:

Keilah said...

I LOVE the second photo! The lighting is awesome, and in black and white the bright light at the back of the photo seems even brighter.