Monday, June 6, 2011

Grand Canyon Hike Pt. 2

To begin the 7.5 mile hike down to the river, we woke up at 4:15 AM to get a head start on the impending heat expected at the bottom of 95 degrees. The morning temperature was predicted to be 35 at the village, but we were slightly lower in elevation and it felt more like 45. The sky was overcast and the sun illuminated the canyon beautifully.  There were ten of us on this hike, four adults, four teens, and two at the ages of ten and twelve. I first started hiking the Canyon myself at the age of thirteen on this same trail. This hike was more fourth on the South Bass Trail and my fourteenth multi-day hike with plans for many more.  The morning was brisk and the trail descended quickly to warmer weather. We took many breaks and enjoyed our time. These next pictures are of the first mile of the trail, which was trimmed by wild flowers. When I hiked the Canyon in my teens, it was always with a group of similar aged youth as well as a few adults. We were taught the importance of staying on the trail, respecting nature, being responsible, and enjoying our time together through good times and difficult. We could help each other if the other struggled, offer words of encouragement and motivation.  Backpacking is not for the faint of heart. I learned that it requires two kinds of abilites: mind and body.  If I thought how much I wanted to complete the hike and wish for the physical excertion to be over, I found it less than fun.  On the other hand, if I stopped to assess what I have accomplished by looking back to where I came from and take in the natural wonders as well, the experience became most enjoyable.  I plan group trips to include younger people to give them the same oppurtunity I had and share my passion toward the place. 
5:30 AM at the trailhead



Darren securing a water jug to his pack to cache partway down






young hikers taking in the view


No comments: